Thursday, February 12, 2009

My contribution

If you read my last post, I ended it with my personal mission statement in life: to make a difference in the lives of others!

Though my daily success in this quest may not live up to someone else's expectations, I believe whole heartily that my goal is genuine. I have often worked with the public, in some type of customer service job. It's rewarding for me to help people, whether that be providing good service or going the extra mile to ensure that their needs are met beyond their satisfaction. Being a public servant is also very frustrating; humans are not easy creatures to please and society is riddled by bullies, villains and just plain imbeciles. (but I'll save these thoughts for another post...)

Anyways back to the topic; my contribution. I believe that I was put on this earth to make a difference, to garner a change, to rally for a cause, to stand up & be heard, to question authority, to find the greater good, to be a soft place to fall, to lend an ear, to reach out my hand, to foster a giving heart, to bolster compassion, to share my message. Some may call it folly; others may deem it wisdom. But I call it a vocation.

It is our job as people, citizen of this precious earth, to be generous to the needs of others. Open your heart not just your wallet when someone needs help. All of us have a civic, moral and personal responsibility to pitch in. Whether that be jumping into a raging river to save a drowning dog, serving on jury duty, or doing your part to make someone's burden lighter.

Have you ever told someone that they have a spinach between their teeth, or a spot on their shirt? Have you ever just stood by and watched while someone committed a crime or a social injustice? Have you ever come to the aid of a total stranger, a helpless child, or even someone you dislike? Don't wait until the person next to you reacts. Be a leader. Take charge. Don't be afraid to fail. You will be reap great personal reward by demonstrating such courage.

Take a minute every day to sincerely a
cknowledge someone and be prepared to step in to lend them a hand if the occasion arises. Take the time to thank the people in every workplace; make eye contact, smile and be present to them (i.e. leave your cell phone and Ipod in the car). It truly does make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely, needed reminder of our responsibility to each other. It often doesn't take a lot to change the day for someone else.

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure having you stop by... so please jot down a few words of wisdom before you leave.

Pursue your dream

Pursue your dream
Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.