Tuesday, February 17, 2009

If I had 90 million bucks

The other day, out of the blue, my son asked me what I would do if I had 90 million dollars. Instantly I said I would share it. And I meant it. I would really spread it around.

Of course I would take care of my family first. I'd invest a good portion in trust funds and hire someone to design a secure financial portfolio for each of my children, all of my siblings and my parents (including my in-laws). Then I would become an anonymous philanthropist.

I consider myself a relatively simple person; my needs take priority over my wants. That is not to say that I do not have the most expensive taste of anyone east of the Mississippi. When it comes to spotting the highest priced item in a store, it's a sure bet it has made my toes tingle as I raced at full speed from across the room to touch it, all the while salivating like a wanton dog.

But I have become alarmingly practical in my old age, and I can thank my hubby for that. He is the epitome of simple & practical, and that's why I love him. When we met we were so polar opposite. Yet now we sometimes don't even have to utter a word to know what the other is thinking.

We hadn't exchanged gifts at birthdays, Christmas or Valentine's Day for years until the kids started noticing. So a few years ago we began buying small practical things for each other to amuse the kids. For instance, back in 2006, my Mother's Day present was a baseball mitt. Why? Because that's what our sons love, and my husband wanted me to enjoy it with them. It worked out well for awhile, but now they both throw so hard that I spend more time cowering away from their throws than actually participating in the game. Although he's only 8, my youngest can fire a baseball fast enough to knock out all of my teeth. No lie! Still, I cherish that glove... though it doesn't get much use.

Anyways, if I had 90 million dollars, I would share it with the hungry, the cold, the homeless, the sick, and the deprived. And I would find them all at the animal shelters and rescue facilities. I'm not a big fan of breeding because it's my view that there are way too many dogs & cats on this earth
already and countless animals are abused, overlooked and abandoned by their owners to justify adding to the population.

Lastly I would share my 90 million dollars with wise men & women who aspire to make to world better, people who give of themselves to help mankind, people who have sacrificed to save the lives and souls of others, people who unselfishly bestow our society with compassion and charity, people who inspire others to live their dreams, people who are not afraid to face the storm for the sake of their neighbor, and people who genuinely appreciate the gift of giving.

So to sum it up... If I had 90 million bucks, I would pay it forward.

5 comments:

  1. First of all I'd pay off my debts. Damn, that's most it gone already!
    Then I'd see to family and buy a south facing slope in Dorset to build myself a house.
    Then I'd spend the rest on creating libraries where there are none - as Carnegie did a hundred or so years ago. I think that giving people the opportunity to read is one of the greatest gifts mankind can have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 90 million...wow, I can't even imagine such money.

    I wanted to say "Thank you so very much for your wonderful, supportive comment. It is much appreciated."

    Also, I know you are trying to help a local family whose home burned down, and I pray daily that you will be successful in your efforts.

    I have to add that I didn't vote for our new leader, nor do I think very highly of him.
    However, that is a different post for a different day, and I still very much appreciate the comment - and hope that politics will not mar our blogging connection.
    :)

    Hugs back, and all my best,
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, 90 million. I would start a rescue farm for animals, staffed with highly trained vets, technology to help them heal the hurts, and I would hire animal people to help rehabilitate the animals who were abused. My Sasha was abused, and it took her a long time to trust people again.

    I would also lobby for harsh punishments for people like Michael Vick and I would fight the huge corporations that fund animal testing - ALL forms of testing.

    I would also help farmers establish their farms again and do away with factory farms.

    I think I would need more than 90 million, but it is a start.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sweet comments. My kids do occasionally race in other states. There's a couple of races in NH, and one or two in VT. The only VT race I can think of right now is Burke Mountain, which I think is near Lyndonville and Johnsbury? That race is next weekend Feb. 28 and March 1. I'll try to check and see if they are going there and let you know. I am not going to be there, but they'd be happy to introduce themselves and the dogs!
    I'd love to meet you too, anytime you're going to be in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa-
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I really enjoyed reading this post. You and I sound like we have a lot in common, including young sons who throw wicked fastballs!
    I think that there is nothing better than to give to those who need it most. I have been known to be generous to a fault with my time talents and treasures. I am currently on a quest to help my good friend launch her dream of Art Village where art saves lives and art is for everyone. I wish that I had that sort of money to bankroll (anonymously of course) the whole project. But the Blessed Buck idea on my blog is a more economical and feasible way to do that. It is bringing so many more blessings my way. Yesterday I placed a buck in a pad of palette paper at the local university book store. Some starving artist will find that blessing!
    I do hope you will come back to visit!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin
    http://treasures-found.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure having you stop by... so please jot down a few words of wisdom before you leave.

Pursue your dream

Pursue your dream
Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.