Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Do the Right Thing

One thing I absolutely detest is cowardice. When people stand back and watch a horrific event unfold without blinking an eye, or walk away pretending they didn't notice someone needing help...

How can you live with yourself, how can you look in the mirror and be proud of the face staring back at you when you've let someone suffer? What if it was your mother, your spouse, your child, your grandfather? Could you, would you casually walk away knowing that they were in jeopardy? Of course not.

Yet everyday I see (we all see) this kind of opportunity ignored. Is it because we are too selfish, too busy, too hurried, too timid, too scared, too narcissistic? What excuse could you use to justify watching someone suffer pain or injustice?

I have tried to teach my children the importance of compassion & humanitarianism. When they see someone fall on the ski slope, they stop to make sure that the person is alright, help them gather their equipment and offer them help to their feet. When they see someone cry, they offer empathy. When they see someone hungry, they share their snack.
It's the right thing to do.

Don't miss out on your chance to be a hero, to make a difference in someone's life. Even if no one else is willing to help, be the one who is.

[Note: disable music player at page end before playing this song...]

He Aint Heavy, He's My Brother - Hollies


3 comments:

  1. Oh yes! This is so true. Why is it so many can turn the other way? I never have understood. I too tried to teach my kids to always think of others. Thankfully they do, as well so do the grand kids. I pray they stay this way, as I can not handle rudeness, ignorance, or what ever the case may be. You are so right, what if someone done that to their family members or themselves? Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. What a wonderful thing to teach your children. I know they'll grow up to be adults who make a positive difference in the world. Good job, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good Mom! I believe it makes a difference in their lives when you teach them compassion for others.
    God knows, we seem to be moving away from these values; a helping hand (on a personal level), a kind word, and a simple smile. Could make the all the difference in the world to someone.
    Nice post, Mom.

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure having you stop by... so please jot down a few words of wisdom before you leave.

Pursue your dream

Pursue your dream
Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.