Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Beautiful Beginning

Today is the 18th anniversary of my official first date with my husband. I remember that evening well... we went to the local fairgrounds for a concert. It was a double bill with Joe Cocker opening for Stevie Ray Vaughn. We joined some of his friends, his brother and our now sister-in-law. In fact she was the one who set this whole event up... It was actually a bet between my husband and his roommate. They each bought two tickets and challenge each other to get a date for the show. My sis-in-law "Rocker" is the one who asked if I wanted to go, and when I said yes, she said that her boyfriend's brother would be calling me about it.

I was dressed in my best blue jeans, a deep purple blouse and gorgeous purple & black pumps. The evening started out perfect; warm but not humid, with scattering of stars overhead. But then half way through Joe Cocker's performance, it started to sprinkle. My husband turned to me and asked me if I wanted to find cover (it was on outdoor concert and we were about 25 rows back from the stage). I turned to him and smiled as I said " No I'm fine. A little rain never hurt me. Plus I know I won't melt (a reference to the Wizard of Oz...) " He laughed and we hugged as we applauded the final notes of "Leave your Hat on". Once SRV came on, the feeling in the air was absolutely electric. He was a fabulous performer and although I had not followed his music, I was quite impressed. After the show, fireworks lit up the sky.

Sadly less than 6 weeks later, Stevie Ray Vaughn was killed in a helicopter crash. But to this day, whenever I hear one of his song I remember that wonderful night, and thank God for the pieces that began to come together that night which now have created a beautiful puzzle.

Seven years from that first memorable date, on July 3rd 1997, the two of us watched the fireworks burst over the waters of the lake. When the finale had scattered a rainbow of bright sparkling colors in the dark star-lit sky, my husband proposed to me. I accepted & now we share the tradition of this fireworks show over the lake with our two beautiful sons.

Life is good. Thanks Stevie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always a pleasure having you stop by... so please jot down a few words of wisdom before you leave.

Pursue your dream

Pursue your dream
Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.